Thursday, November 12, 2009

"Ask not what your country can do for you..."

You know, I told myself when I started this blog that I would not get too political. I didn't want to turn people off  by posting what was my opinion on things, knowing that there are lots of views out there that are different than mine. Because of this, I have kept my mouth shut on many topics. I know I still put my two cents in here and there. Trust me, I've wanted to say a lot more!

I've come to realize, however, that if I don't stand up and inform as many people as I can to the truth, who will? Not that I'm the going to change every mind out there, but even if I open one person's eyes, it's worth it.

Most people trust that the government will not take advantage of them. They trust that the events on the news and in the papers are the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I know a lot of people that just live there lives expecting nothing to change, expecting their freedom to always be there. They wake up, go to their jobs, take care of their families, and try and enjoy life as much as possible. They take for granted that they have the freedoms in this country that many other countries do not provide.

If anything reminds me of this, it is veterans day. I know I shouldn't politicize veterans day; believe me, that's not what my intentions are! I just want to point out that freedom is not to be taken lightly. All of our men and woman that fight for this country are protecting that freedom by putting their lives on the line. Why should we, even for one second, take that freedom for granted? Why should we allow a government to take any of that freedom away from us, for any reason?

We have to remember that millions of people throughout the history of this nation have fled their own countries to come to ours so they can enjoy the freedoms that we take for granted every day.

The founders of this country have put it very simply in the constitution. It is OUR right AND responsibility to protect those freedoms. It talks about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It does not talk about the right for distribution of wealth. This should come with human kindness, not force! It does not talk about government taking our money and spending it unwisely only to create more government programs so they can take over another aspect of our lives. It does not talk about stimulas plans, unions and corporate takeovers. It does not talk about leaving our troops in a foreign land without the equipment that they need because the government does not want to offend those that appose the war. Every right that they take from us is one step closer to the government our founders ran from hundreds of years ago.

My grandfather fought on a Navy ship in WWII and the Korean war. He saw and did things most of us would never have the guts to do. He was away from home and family more than not until his oldest child was in her teens. He is in his eighties now, knowing that the freedom he fought so hard for for his children and grandchildren is now under attack, not by another country, but ourselves. Slowly, the government is taking over our lives, and most of us are too busy or just don't care enough to notice.

There is so much "political correctness" out there that everyone is afraid to talk about the truth. We're all afraid to put a stop to a man who is clearly an Anti-American, who for months put up one red flag after another, then released gunfire on a crowded military base. We're too afraid to stand up to politicians wanting to take our hard-earned money and  hand it over to someone else who really hasn't worked hard for anything in their life. We're too afraid to ask the real questions about abortions, gay marriages and any other "touchy" subject because we're too afraid we'll hurt someone's feelings. We're too afraid to stand up and say we want to keep our guns without the stigma of being a gun-toting hill-billy. We're too afraid to say anything bad about the president in fear of coming off as a bigoted jack-ass.

But, you know what... I'm done being afraid! I'm going to speak my mind. I'm going to tell the truth that everyone else is so afraid of saying! My friend is over in Iraq on his second tour of duty. He is there protecting our rights that we are not gutsy enough to protect ourselves. Is it all for nothing? Will he come home in a few months to a place that he no longer wants to call home? I want to make sure that does not happen.

Now, I'm not saying that we all have to agree on everything. I'm not saying that I am right on everything. I just want everyone to take a look at what they want out of life and what they want out of the government. I want everyone to go back to the roots of this great country... life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; not hand-outs, government programs, meetings, speeches and tv appearances!

I'm not saying that these problems started with this administration, or even the last couple. There are PLENTY of fingers to point! But why should we let it get any worse?

----------  ----------  ----------

The following is pieces from JFK's inaugural speech in 1961...

The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe - the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans - born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage - and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this Nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

This much we pledge - and more.

To those old allies whose cultural and spiritual origins we share, we pledge the loyalty of faithful friends. United, there is little we cannot do in a host of cooperative ventures. Divided, there is little we can do - for we dare not meet a powerful challenge at odds and split asunder.

To those new States whom we welcome to the ranks of the free, we pledge our word that one form of colonial control shall not have passed away merely to be replaced by a far more iron tyranny. We shall not always expect to find them supporting our view. But we shall always hope to find them strongly supporting their own freedom - and to remember that, in the past, those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

... In your hands, my fellow citizens, more than in mine, will rest the final success or failure of our course. Since this country was founded, each generation of Americans has been summoned to give testimony to its national loyalty. The graves of young Americans who answered the call to service surround the globe.

Now the trumpet summons us again - not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need; not as a call to battle, though embattled we are - but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation" - a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself.

... In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shank from this responsibility - I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our country and all who serve it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.

No comments: