Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Up North"

Last week I showed photos of my trip up north. It got me thinking about my time I've spent up north throughout the years. I'm not sure if it was the company I kept or the wooded, secluded atmosphere up there, but it seemed much more relaxing and fun than our weekends as of late at our campground.

It seems as you go "up north", you leave your worries behind, whether it's for a day, a weekend, or an entire week. You cross over "the cities" and all is calm. Everything just seems to slow down and be more enjoyable. Even rainy days can turn into fun, making scrapbook items in the "lodge" or playing cards while singing to the radio. Ice cream is smoother, water is clearer, fish are bigger and friends are always welcome.

Being a Minnesotan all my life, I've gone up north nearly every summer one way or another. It started with camping with my family in our 14 foot (yes only 14 feet long) camper when I was a child, watching the fire for hours while my dad told stories and roasted perfect marshmallows. I spent seven summers at church camp up north (one week a year) where I learned how to canoe, sail, horseback ride, shoot bow and arrow and too many other things to list. I soon went up north with my "second family" (as I called them) to their cabin and enjoyed hours (and hours) of cards, swimming, and fishing. 

The last few years, however, have been "down south", you might say (that is... south of "the cities"). I haven't made it up north in quite a few years. I forgot how much I loved it. I forgot all the fun it was and how relaxing every minute was. I know we have all the same opportunities down here, but it truly is not the same. I'm not sure what it is...

Whatever it is, I wish I could bottle it up and bring it home with me.

What's your favorite memory of "up north"?

No comments: