Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sharks and Whales

Tonight, Emma was telling me about the ocean lesson they had at school today. They watched a video that talked about sharks and other fish. She was proud to know that sharks are fish and whales are not.

I asked her what's the difference between the two that makes one a fish and one not.

She knew that sharks breath in the water and whales have to go to the surface to get air. I should have stopped there...

"What else?" I asked.

She didn't know for sure what else made them different so I told her that sharks lay eggs and whales carry their babies in their tummies, just like people.

"OK, OK, OK... But..." she said with a pause. "I'm very frustrated right now."

"Why?" I ask.

"I don't understand... How do the babies get in the tummies...?"

What did I get myself into? Crap! How do I get out of this one? I skirted the subject, just as I've done a couple times before, not thinking she was ready. Is it her that's not ready, or me?!?!

No comments: